Saturday, July 30, 2011

Teaching Tolerance

Teaching Tolerance (a project of the southern poverty law center) is "a place to find thought-provoking news, conversation and support for those who care about diversity, equal opportunity and respect for differences in schools".

They provide free educational materials such as books, documentaries, DVDs, the Teaching Tolerance magazine and other items to promote social justice in our schools.  They also have a blog for educators to share their insights, experiences and day-to-day struggles with anti-bias education issues.

A few months ago my principal sent an email notifying me that Teaching Tolerance was looking for writers.  As a frequent reader of this blog and supporter of the work I do in the classroom he suggested I get in touch with them.

I did.

I was asked to write a try-out piece which I entitled On the Playground.  It took quite a while for them to get back to me and thinking they were not interested I posted it on my own blog (recently Hilary at The Smitten Image kindly selected it as a Post of the Week.)

However, Teaching Tolerance was interested!  They asked for a simple revision and yesterday I got notification that my post was "live".  How exciting is that?  I am submitting a second try-out post this weekend and after that may or may not be offered a contract.  The brilliant thing about all this (other than being paid to write) is having the opportunity to share my journey with a broader audience and forge connections with other educators who are passionate about the same issues.

I am grateful for this opportunity and hopeful that they will like my second try-out post.  I'll keep you posted.  In the meanwhile you can find my post here.

12 comments:

Brian Miller said...

that is way cool...congrats on the POTW and being selected as well..this is a very worthy subject to teach...wish more did...

Barbara said...

What a great opportunity for you AND for their readers! This seems like the perfect extension of your Blog, which has devoted readers but probably not the exposure you will now have. Congratulations!

Steve Reed said...

Congrats, Gary! That's so awesome! I've been a supporter of Teaching Tolerance in the past, and now I have even more reason to support the program! :)

Like Barbara said, this will do wonders for your readership!

Gary said...

Thanks Brian.

Barbara - It is a nice opportunity and I hope they like my second post (submitted it this evening). I don't think any readers from their site will be stopping by FYB because there is no link back to here from there. At least for now the two remain separate. But I thank you for being a devoted reader as I am of Looking2live.

Steve - So many people know about Teaching Tolerance but I was not familiar with them before this. Glad you are settling into your new home.

Pauline said...

Good for you! Your ideas and teaching methods will benefit a larger readership, thereby benefitting more kids. And you get paid to write - a double blessing!

Gary said...

Thanks Pauline! I hope it all works out. I have so many ideas and feel tremendously motivated to write for them.

37paddington said...

Congrats, Gary! So proud of you!

Hilary said...

I'm very happy for you, Gary.. and for Teaching Tolerance for having recognized a fine, compassionate educator and writer. Congrats!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Interesting topic. Tolerance is needed for peaceful living in this world where leaders are sowing the seeds of dissension, discord and animosity over petty things which can be easily sorted out by discussion and understanding one another. Intolerance takes up so much of people's valuable time and money which can be easily used for the welfare of human beings.

Wish you all the best and all success.
Joseph

Mona said...

Congratulations! Nothing like getting a platform like this! :)

Gary said...

Thank you Angella and thank you Hilary.

You seem very wise Joseph. I thank you for sharing your comments and for visiting my blog. Much appreciated.

MONA! My dear old cyberpal! I am still waiting for feedback on my second post. I don't think it is my strongest writing so they may decide to decline. I'll have to wait and see.

Jan Gephardt said...

Gary, I hope your quest to join the Teaching Tolerance blogger corps has gone well!

I borrowed the logo you posted here, to make my own announcement about blogging for Teaching Tolerance! I added a credit for you and your blog, plus a link to this post, at the end of my post. If you'd like to see it, go to http://jan-gephardt.blogspot.com/

Again, best wishes and many thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails